Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Equity and Diversity

This week we took an equity and diversity awareness quiz. Honestly, I did not know a lot of the answers to these questions. My tactic in taking this quiz was to go for the most extreme answers for the questions I considered negative. For the first question I thought 60% percent of US schools had no teachers of color on staff, but the answer was 40%. While I was taking the test, I really expected that number to be higher than the answer I had marked down. The majority of my answers were overestimated, but I still find it hard to believe some of the results. I would rather not share my actual results, but lets just say that I failed. Here is the link to the quiz:
http://edchange.org/multicultural/quiz/quizNEW.pdf

I thought this weeks discussion was interesting. I learned a lot in the WU reading and received information that I could relate to. I did not know that there was a difference between slang and ebonics and I feel like mistaking the two is a common mistake that most individuals make. I think it is really important for teachers to understand that using ebonics does not translate to ignorance; it is a language and therefore should acknowledged as such. Another part of the reading that I thought was interesting was the part where they described why the Asian students in the classroom were so quiet. At home they are taught that talking too much could cause disrespect and harsh feelings and you should not speak unless spoken to. I could relate to this because at home, my sibling and I were taught something similar. We were told not to look at adults directly in their eye because it was a sign of disrespect, but when I went to school, the teachers claimed it was disrespectful to not look at them while they were speaking.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally identify with with your example relating to Asian students. My grandmother raised me and she was very old school West Indian, her favorite line was "Don't watch me in my face, me and you not size." She meant, I shouldn't be so bold to look her in her eyes because I was a child and she was an Adult. These are among the many cultural differences teachers need to be aware of before they take on the task of leading a classroom.

    ReplyDelete