Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Facing Differences

The language aspect of this week’s class discussion was the most interesting to me, mainly because it relates to my major, which is linguistics. Generally, linguistics is the study of language, but it is much more intricate than that.
During our discussion about language barriers and how it hinders learning, reminded me of a time in school when I was very young. At home my siblings and I were spoken to in English by our parents, but we had a Haitian baby sitter who only knew how to speak Haitian Creole. I am not a native speaker of Creole by I do consider myself bilingual. During class, there was a portion where we all had to share something that we did during the past weekend. When it was my turn I began telling the class about where my Nenen took me, and before I could even go on the teacher stopped me and asked me what a nenen was? I remember thinking to myself, how is she a teacher if she didn’t know what that word meant? So I said the word to her again because I figured maybe I was pronouncing it wrong and she still didn’t understand. I repeated the word several times until I became so frustrated, insecure and embarrassed, that I just stopped trying and did not even finish the story. Later that day, I went home to tell my mother that the teacher did not know what a nenen was and asked her if I was pronouncing it wrong. She explained to me that it was not an English word. Nenen translates in English to Godmother. The whole time I was unconsciously speaking Creole to my teacher.
When I look back at this situation that I encountered, I cannot even imagine what it must be like for children who are non native English speakers and are forced to learn and master material outside of their native language. They are being educated in one language at home and taught another at school, which automatically puts them in the “children-at-risk” category. As stated in the sleeter and grant reading, a child can be put in that category due to their backgrounds, low income, low achievement, handicap condition, minority status, inner-city household and limited proficiency in English. It is hard enough to learn one language, let alone two, especially without reinforcement. Usually when you learn material in school, it is reinforced at home, or at least it should be, because without it, information will not be retained
. Reinforcement ties into the section about Parental Involvement. They basically stated that if you want your children to succeed, as a parent, you need to be active participants in their lives. The problem is a lot of minority parents are not active participants for various reasons. I believe that rules should be implemented to increase parental involvement because in a lot of cases parents are not aware that they should be involved in their child’s academics and reinforcing what they learned. My mother used a positive and negative reinforcement concept with me. If I wanted a la carte money to buy a treat at school, I had to be able count whatever amount of money my mother gave me and tell her the correct amount. If I was unable to count the correct amount, I would not get the money. This is just one of the many ways that parents could get involved.
Another part of this week’s discussion that really interested me was the video which basically tackled difference versus deficient.
If it is not seen as the “norm” in society, it is deemed as being deficient This is just a prime example on how everyone is not the same and therefore won’t respond that way. In order for people who are different (race, mental difference, deafness etc) to treated fairly, they need to have an equal opportunity, which does not translate to being treated the equally. By giving everyone an equal opportunity, accommodations need to be made so that one won’t be put at a disadvantage due to their difference. Its goal is so people would not be ostracized because of there difference. I enjoyed reading the Wu chapter because of the different activities that were implemented in the classroom. I personally enjoyed the me pockets. Not only does it give the children a chance to open up and share interesting facts about themselves, but it also helps build relationships throughout the classroom. These bonding exercises break racial barriers, even when they are not necessarily sharing something cultural with the class. For example If an African American boy shares pictures of his pet, one of the other students with a different racial background could feel connected because they too have pets, which may unconsciously throw away racial negative connotations he might have had.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog roll! Good job on your first entry. I think the example about your Nenen would've been a great one to share with the class, considering the impact it had on you. Are there any videos/articles that are of significance to your post that you'd like to add?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Final_Parent_Involvement_Fact_Sheet_14732_7.pdf

    As I have stated above, I believe that parental involvement is key in their children’s success. This article uses statistics to support this argument as well as give a variety of parental involvement methods and examples.

    ReplyDelete